Introduction to our distance learning courses Autumn 2020
We run two series of distance learning courses, usually commencing in January and September.
Where there's muck Part two - the economic geology of the British Isles
This is Part 2 of a course started in Autumn. Topics include units covering the economically important extractive industries and associated distribution/transport networks featuring Aggregates; Oil and gas; Coal; Limestone; Water and Clays.
Pioneers of British Geology - the science and people behind the discoveries
The course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about the history of our science and the people who lie behind the discoveries.
We began our look at some of the Pioneers of British Geology, under the title "Time
Traveller's Britain" back in 2015. We have augmented this material with a new prologue and also an additional Unit that looks at the work of the female pioneers.
Time Traveller's Britain - A new version of this long established and popular course!
Units include The Isle of Arran; The Jurassic Coast of Dorset & Devon; The Llyn Peninsula; Anglesey; Charnwood Forest; The Isle of Rum.
Dependent upon the course of Covid pandemic,there is every chance that this course may continue beyond the last date shown. If so you will be invited to enrol on the additional sessions at a later date.
The cost of this course is £25.00 per person (or £40.00 for two people studying together). If you would like to have the background materials printed and mailed to you, this is an extra £15.00.
Hot Rocks - Volcanoes, igneous rocks & processes
The course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about what lies behind the occurrence of volcanoes and their products.
Steps towards the rock face
Everyone knows at least a little about sedimentary rocks and how they are formed. That said, it’s also an area of geological study that cries out for a comprehensive overview. In 10-weeks this course covers all aspects of sedimentary rocks and the processes that make them. Each Unit covers a different aspect.
Course fee £75.00 (students under-19 £50.00) by email or £100.00 by post. (11-weeks)
- Have these courses your way! You can have them electronically, by email or Moodle or you can have printed sheets sent by mail.
- Everyone is invited to a weekly live Zoom meeting for a presentation.
- Each of these courses except Steps towards the rock face and Time Traveller's costs £40.00 per person electronically, or £60.00 if you’d like printed materials. If you are studying jointly as a couple the cost is just £20.00 extra.
- All courses are supported by a tutor, who is available online.
- All of these courses, with the exception of "Steps towards the rock face", will commence week beginning September 21st and run for either 8 or 10 weeks. ("Steps" can be undertaken at any time to suit you.)
- You can enroll via our online shop or by ringing us on 0114 245 5746.